Another artisan bread, this one requires rolled rye, spelt flour and molasses. It makes a dark loaf with a crusty outside layer. However, the insides are soft and delicious. Though there is molasses in the finished loaf, its flavor is very subtle. A delicious bread, in and of itself worth purchasing a grain roller!
Spelt & Rolled Rye Molasses Bread
- 1 C freshly rolled rye (don’t know how to get this? See posting: Roll Your Own Grains
- 1 1/2 C water
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/4 C molasses
- 1/4 C coconut oil (or lard will suffice)
- 1 1/2 C warm water
- 2 Tbs yeast
- 8 C freshly ground spelt flour
- Place rolled rye, 1 1/2 C water and 1 Tbs salt in a small pot. Slowly simmer on low heat until a thick paste is made.
- Remove from heat and let set for 30 min-1 hr. This allows the rolled rye to absorb more water.
- Place flour and yeast in a bowl and mix together.
- Measure 1 1/2 C very warm water. If coconut oil or molasses is cold and stiff, plop into warm water to liquidize.
- Mix liquid ingredients into flour and mix with hands. End result will be a darkly colored, stiff, sticky dough.
- Knead for 3 minutes on an oiled surface.
- Run a tea-towel under hot water and wring out.
- Place dough an oiled bowl and pat oil over the top. Cover the dough with cloth and let sit in a slightly warmed oven.
- After 30 minutes, or when dough has risen 1/3 of its original size, gently deflate. Divide into equal portions.
- Place in two normal-sized, well greased bread pans. Lightly grease the tops.
- Run cloth under hot water for a second time and wring out once again.
- Place dough-filled bread pans back in slightly warmed oven and cover with warm, moist cloth once again.
- When dough has risen 1/3 its original size, remove cloth.
- Turn oven to 375F, leaving bread to rise to temperature with the oven.
- Once 375F has been reached, set timer for 10 minutes.
- When timer goes, reduce heat to 350F and bake for another 25 minutes.
- When bread is done, remove from pans and cover with the moist cloth used earlier. When cool, cut into slices and eat immediately or freeze.